In this article, we have described why many organizations migrate from Lotus Notes to Office 365. We have explained the challenges these organisations face when they perform the migration.
We have also provided a dedicated Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration tool that overcomes these challenges and makes the migration easier. This software can be downloaded below.
Organizations move from Lotus Notes to Office 365 for many reasons- better email management, scalable cloud storage, access to business software such as Skype for Business, Microsoft Teams, etc. Lotus Notes is also an older technology that offers suboptimal data and application management. Office 365, on the other hand, is more catered towards modern businesses and is empowered by a large global community that fuels its growth.
Migration from Lotus Notes to Office 365 is certainly advantageous for most organizations. The problem is, this migration is challenging and many organizations lack the technical expertise to perform the migration safely.
Why is Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration difficult?
Both Lotus Notes and Office 365 are messaging and groupware platforms. However, both are different. Lotus Notes is a desktop application with optional access on mobile, while Cloud 365 is strictly a cloud application. The software environment, database management, and application protocols are also different on both platforms.
The manual process for Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration comprises the following steps:
- Create backups of Lotus Notes NSF files
- Set up new mailboxes in Office 365
- Configure IMAP connections for all users in Lotus Notes
- Synchronize Lotus Notes emails to Office 365 by using IMAP
It’s easy to see that this method is complex and technical. Further, if you use it to migrate Lotus Notes to Office 365, you may face the following issues:
- The method demands attention to detail, precision, and technical expertise. The steps must be implemented carefully as a single mistake can lead to the loss of critical business data.
- You can’t migrate contacts, calendars, notes, etc. along with the emails with this method. You have to export these items separately. For instance, to migrate calendars, you need to export them to ICS files and then import these ICS files into Outlook.
- NSF files that need to be migrated can’t be larger than 1 GB.
- You can only migrate up to Lotus Notes 15 mailboxes at a time due to the limitations of Lotus Extractor. If there are more mailboxes, you have to migrate them in batches.
- Many large organizations prefer to use hybrid deployment in which some data is retained on-premises (Lotus Notes) while the rest is migrated to the cloud (Office 365). This requirement can add more complications to the migration process when it’s done manually.
- Due to the unreliable nature of manual techniques, Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration is often incomplete. Some data can be lost in the process which may or not be recovered. This is why using a dedicated Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration software is recommended.
For any organization, its mailbox data is extremely important. Considering the risks and technicalities of the manual method, it’s advised that you can use a dedicated Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration tool from a reputed company. For instance, you can use Stellar Converter for NSF Technician to directly export your Lotus Notes NSF files to Office 365.
Stellar Converter for NSF Technician is a safe, convenient, and simple option to perform NSF to PST Conversion. Not only this software is easy-to- use, but it can also complete the migration in far less time than manual migration.
The following are some of the salient features of Stellar Converter for NSF Technician:
- Supports Lotus Notes 10.0.1, 9.0.1, 9.0, 8.5, 8.0.2, 7.0, 6.5 and 6.0
- Offers 100% data transfer from Lotus Notes to Office 365 with no risk of data loss
- Converts multiple NSF files to PSTs
- Exports NSF files directly to Office 365
- Allows selective migration (migration of specific items in NSF files)
- Offers a preview of the items in the NSF file before migration
- User-friendly interface, log reports, and more features
Stellar Converter for NSF Technician is recommended by many professionals because of its impressive features such as simple UI, data security, and an easy migration system. Plus, it can be used for free to get a hands-on experience.
Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration can be an ambitious undertaking even for those who have the required technical knowledge. It’s not easy to transfer all emails, calendars, notes, etc. from Lotus Notes to Office 365 while ensuring that there is no data loss.
Since the manual method we mentioned above is neither safe, not convenient, it’s strongly advised that you use a dedicated Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration tool such as Stellar Converter for NSF Technician. This software offers a seamless and risk-free migration, and it can be downloaded for free.