For nearly two decades, Bath has been the proud host of the annual Jane Austen Festival.
Honouring the life and the remarkable works of this treasured author, the festival is spread out over 10 days in September and is filled with events that will thrill every kind of fan.
Bath was once home to Austen herself and served as the backdrop for several of her famous novels of romance and lifestyle of the times. Anyone who has read, studied or loved Jane Austen’s work can take the opportunity to walk in the footsteps of the author and taste a bit of what her life may have been like.
With the stunning backdrop of Bath’s historic city center and spilling out into the gardens and countryside of the area, the Jane Austen Festival is an artistic celebration that is not to be missed. The highlight of the festival is the Masked Costume Ball that is traditionally held on the final weekend of the event. This celebration filled with authentic food, costumes and music is the featured gala that guests will not want to miss.
If you are planning a late summer getaway trip, staying in a charming vacation home like a cottage from Villas Away, you could complement your plans with a visit to this internationally acclaimed festival. Experience life as it was in Jane Austen’s time, take in some incredible theatre or enjoy a walk through the city featuring all of the haunts of this most beloved author.
The Jane Austen Festival literally has something to please every palate.
- A “Very Private Public Breakfast” is hosted on the first two mornings of the festival for all to enjoy.
- During the festival Country Dance Ball,you can taste the local delights and historical recipes that were some of Jane’s favorites.
- Take in a talk from a culinary expert about “Kitchen’s & Cooking in Austen’s England”.
- Enjoy a pre-theatre supper in the Regency Tea Room before sitting down to be engulfed by the drama of one of Austen’s masterpieces performed on stage.
Even if you think you know everything there is to know about Jane Austen, you will have the opportunity to learn more details about her life than you could imagine during the festival.
- Sit through a reading of some of the favorite chapters from Austen novels.
- Discover the “Layers of Jane Austen”with an in-depth breakdown of Austen’s writings.
- “Theatre In Austen’s Time”gives the history of the entertainment industry that was present during the author’s lifetime.
Get out in the glorious nature of the surrounding countryside of Bath for one of many informational walks offered by the festival.
- “Austen Undone”is a comical look at some of her more popular works.
- Compare the crimes of today with the “Crime In The Time Of Jane Austen”.
- “Jane Austen & Bath”— discover the historical local connection to the author.
- The“Jane Austen Home & Friends” walking tour will take you on a visit where the author lived and worked during her time in Bath.
The most anticipated and highly raved about event of the Jane Austen Festival is the Masked Costume Ball during the final weekend. Fans and local patrons gather in authentic costumes to enjoy an evening like one of the balls often written about in Austen’s works.
- Friday, September 20, 2019 – 7pm-11:30pm
- Costumed Event – Masked Ball
- Venetian/Victorian style
- Drink reception at the Baths followed by the Ball in the Pump Houses
- Drinks and 2-course meal included with ticket
- Dancing to orchestral traditional music to highlight the evening
Don’t Miss It!
For anyone who has whiled away an afternoon in the parlours and dance halls of Jane Austen’s imagination, this annual festival is not to be missed. Bring the whole family for a taste of history, humour and an authentic Bath experience at the Jane Austen Festival this fall.